PREVIEW: Chesterfield v Stevenage
Boro face trip to fellow npower League 1 new boys this weekend
Chesterfield v Stevenage
Saturday, August 13
Address: B2net Stadium, Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 8NZ
You may also want to watch:
Manager: John Sheridan
Last season: 1st (League 2)
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
Chesterfield took League 2 by storm last season and deservedly went up as champions. They have been very quiet on the transfer front this summer, though, with former Mansfield and Republic of Ireland U21 goalkeeper Shane Redmond and ex-Arsenal academy midfielder Mark Randall being their only two signings so far.
Veteran striker Jack Lester showed last season that he still knows where the goal is but the club lost last season’s top scorer Craig Davies, who netted 25 times for the Spireites, to Barnsley in the summer.
The club has started the new season with two defeats. They lost in the league at Tranmere 1-0 last Saturday before going out of the Carling Cup to Rochdale after extra time on Tuesday evening.
If manager Graham Westley decides to counter Chesterfield’s crisp passing game by loading players into midfield Robin Shroot could start off a lone striker, possibly Craig Reid.
Stevenage will go to the B2net without the services of four players - Chris Day, John Mousinho, Darren Murphy and Joel Byrom all miss out.
Phil Edwards is expected to keep his starting place in the centre of midfield after impressing during the opening two games of the season, while Stacy Long may also start after a cameo against Peterborough United midweek.
Graham Westley: “As more players get fit and fewer players are unavailable the squad gets stronger in terms of selection. There is no supremely positive news about either of those two (Day/Mousinho) or Murph or Joel Byrom – none of them are necessarily going to be in contention this weekend.”