Pretty as a picture
A VILLAGE in North Herts is celebrating after being named the best in the county. Ickleford has come out on top of the 2006 Hertfordshire Village of the Year competition and will now go forward to the English finals. It also won the best community project
A VILLAGE in North Herts is celebrating after being named the best in the county.
Ickleford has come out on top of the 2006 Hertfordshire Village of the Year competition and will now go forward to the English finals.
It also won the best community project category.
Judge Tom Davidson said the village's entry was "outstanding".
He added: "In particular I would pick out the parish plan questionnaire for, firstly, the care with which it was compiled and, secondly, the effort put into encouraging villagers to respond, achieving an outstanding response rate of 86 per cent.
"Anyone who is thinking of doing a parish plan would do well to consult Ickleford.
- 1 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 2 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 3 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 4 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 5 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 6 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 7 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 8 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 9 Avid quizmaster raising funds for rape and sexual assault support service
- 10 Stevenage woman, 52, accused of wounding 91-year-old in her own home
"This is only part of the plans that Ickleford have for their village, including a church extension for which a considerable sum has already been raised."
Other villages in Comet country are also celebrating success in the competition.
Hexton was named small village of the year and was commended in the business section, and Pirton won the building community life category.
Helen Hofton of Pirton was given the Peterkin Award.
The formal presentation of Ickleford's award will take place on Saturday, July 22, on Upper Green at 12.30pm.
The Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire and the chairman of Hertfordshire County Council will be attending.