‘Pretend pubs’ for Letchworth Simon Pegg film
VENUES across Letchworth GC will be turned into pubs for a film starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
Having chosen the town as a location for scenes of The World’s End – based on five childhood friends who reunite for an epic pub crawl – the production team will be filming at non-drinking establishments as a result of the lack of pubs.
Letchworth GC did not have a licence to sell alcohol in the centre of town until 1960, and it was a further 14 years until the first alcohol-serving pub was built in the town centre, The Arena Tavern.
Currently there are five pubs in the town but John Robinson, the strategic director of customer services at North Herts District Council (NHDC), has said other buildings will be used to fill the void.
Speaking at last week’s Letchworth area committee meeting, he said: “I understand filming will take place in different parts of the town, not just the town centre. They are having to pretend a lot of buildings are pubs.”
You may also want to watch:
More filming is expected to take place at the end of October, with a recall for those who applied to be extras taking place at North Hertfordshire College’s Hitchin campus this week.
It has also been confirmed that the production crew will be based at a location outside of the town centre for an extended period of filming between November and December.
- 1 Confirmation that Stevenage Five Guys restaurant is coming soon
- 2 Appeal to sign petition over future of ancient woodland in Stevenage
- 3 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 4 Donations pour in for memorial garden in tribute to teacher who died from COVID-19
- 5 Dogwalker dismayed after discovering more than 50 bags of poo on his walk
- 6 Man arrested after crashing into tree and fleeing scene in Hitchin
- 7 'Incredible community spirit' pays for boy's medical chest brace after shock diagnosis
- 8 Police appeal for witnesses after Hitchin robbery
- 9 Fundraising Batman cycles across three villages in bid to lose weight
- 10 Coercive control, gaslighting and love bombing - pupils urged to identify toxic relationships during lockdown
The NHDC-owned Arena Parade car park was shut to the public last Monday while scenes were shot in the town centre and the council will continue to liaise with the production team regarding filming locations.
“This is a great opportunity for Letchworth – for the town, for the people that live here and also for local businesses,” said NHDC leader Cllr Lynda Needham.
“Not only will it mean there’s even more reason to visit the world’s first garden city, but we hope those working on the film will use local shops and facilities while they’re here, and that it encourages other film makers to consider North Herts for locations in the future.
“The production team and the council will continue to work closely with Herts Highways, the police, Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation and others to ensure that any disruption to local people and businesses is kept to a minimum.”