Preston confirm approach
IT has been reported this morning that Preston North End yesterday approached Stevenage for permission to speak to Graham Westley with a view to making him their new manager.
It is understood the Lancashire club, who parted company with boss Phil Brown last month, are hoping to hear back from Boro today. North End chairman, Peter Ridsdale, told the Lancashire Evening Post he has made an approach to another club, although he didn’t confirm who. “We have approached another football club for permission to speak to their manager,” he said.
“I’ve spoken to that club’s chairman and we’re waiting to hear if permission has been granted. That is the stage we’re at, and I don’t want to make any further comment at this stage.”
Despite the continued speculation, Westley refused to be drawn on whether there is any substance to the rumours following his side’s 1-0 win over Reading on Saturday in the FA Cup third round.
Speaking in the post-match press conference, Westley said: “There have been rumours that I was moving on all week. Everyone keeps asking me about if this was my last game with the club. I’m just focused on the next game.
You may also want to watch:
“If the club comes to me and says there has been an approach, I will deal with it.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?