Work starts on Potton homes – as more housing applications go in
- Credit: Archant
Work has officially begun on the latest property development in Potton.
CALA Homes have started building 90 new homes on the 3.65-hectare site in Sandy Road, to the west of the town centre.
The homes will be a mix of one-bedroom apartments, detached and semi-detached houses ranging from two to five bedrooms.
As part of the development, CALA will make a contribution of £435,000 to schooling, leisure and healthcare facilities as part of a section 106 agreement with Central Bedfordshire Council.
The site will be accessed via a single-access road with greenery and landscaping set to be maintained while extra trees, scrubs and hedges will be planted. The development will also include a children’s play area, cycle path and new footpath route.
The homes are set to officially open in August this year
Planning applications have also been submitted to Central Beds Council for more than 200 new homes in another part of the town.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
The first application, from Blakeney Estates, is for 30 houses off Everton Road – including landscaping, ancillary works and access road.
However, there has been some confusion over the house that will be knocked down to provide the access road to the site.
The site description said 89 Everton Road would be knocked down to make access, while the plan showed 87 Everton Road being demolished to make access.
Potton Town Council posted on social media today that the relevant planning officer had confirmed it was number 87 that would be demolished.
The second application, from Hallam Land Management, is for a much larger site of 170 homes off Sandy Road.
Landscaping, green open spaces and a children’s play are all set to be included, while new roads, car parking and a drainage system will be built.
There will also be vehicle, cycle, pedestrian and emergency access from Sandy Road.
To see the applications for yourself, choose ‘planning’ at centralbedfordshire.gov.uk.
Look up reference CB/16/02590/OUT for the CALA Homes development, CB/18/01424/OUT for the Blackney Estates scheme and CB/18/01635/OUT for the Hallam Land Management plans.