New pop-up Post Office opens in Stevenage High Street after Waitrose closure
- Credit: Archant
A pop-up Post Office has opened in Stevenage High Street as the business continues to look for a permanent solution to losing its branch that was in the Waitrose store.
The service opens today, and is operating from inside Medix Pharamacy.
High Street Stevenage Post Office has been temporarily closed since October 2019, when the Waitrose supermarket, where the branch had been based, closed.
Hayley Brown, Post Office change area manager, said: “We are delighted to be restoring a Post Office to this area of Stevenage.
“We want to thank Medix Pharmacy for providing space for the pop-up Post Office.
You may also want to watch:
“We fully recognise how much the community rely on having Post Office services and we continue to seek a permanent solution for the people of Stevenage.”
Steveanage Borough Council councillor for the Old Town, Jim Brown, said: “It’s very welcome but so far this is only a temporary arrangement.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“Now we have it, let’s use it. Opening today, as the Covid-19 restrictions really started to bite, is challenging for any new initiative but our High Street could not wait any longer.
“Stevenage council’s economy select committee and others have worked hard for this. Let’s spread the word that there’s a Post Office in the Old Town High Street again.
“I hope we will see a permanent Post Office soon.”
The permanent vacancy for High Street Stevenage Post Office is available. Email ND.email@example.com or 0333 345 5560, then select option 2.
The new Post Office will offer a wide range of services including banking, bill payment, postage, home shopping collections and returns.
It will be open Monday to Friday, 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5.30pm. It will also be open from 9am to 12.30pm on Saturdays.