Polls open for Hitchin by-election
- Credit: Archant
POLLS have opened today (Thursday) in Hitchin, as voters prepare to elect a successor following the death of a councillor.
One seat is for Hitchin North at county level and the other is for Hitchin Oughton at district level. Both became vacant following the death of county and district cllr David Billing in July.
The Hitchin North seat is being contested by David’s wife, Judi Billing for Labour, while Alan Millard will stand for the Conservatives, John Barry for UKIP, Lisa Courts for Liberal Democrats and Gavin Nicholson for the Green Party.
At the district level, Frank Radcliffe will run for Labour, Mara Macseoinin for the Conservatives, Peter Croft for UKIP, Clare Body for the Liberal Democrats and Jacqueline Greatorex for the Green Party.
Polling for the district seat will be at Westmill Community Centre in John Barker Place.
You may also want to watch:
Voting for the county seat will be held at the Catholic Parish Church Hall in Nightingale Road, the New Testament Church of God in Hampden Road, St Michaels Community Centre in St Michaels Road, the Hitchin Rugby Clubhouse in Old Hale Way and the Walsworth Community Centre in Woolgrove Road.
Polls will remain open until 10pm. The count will begin at Hitchin Boys’ School.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction