Policeman plunges into freezing Hitchin town centre pond as two suspects are chased following nightclub incident
- Credit: Archant
There was drama in the centre of Hitchin in the early hours of this morning as a police chase eventually saw two men arrested following an incident in a nightclub.
Officers pursued a black Range Rover into the town after two men drove off from a Bedfordshire night spot.
The men made their way into Hitchin before they halted the car on Elmside Walk off Bedford Road just after 5am today, where one man made off on foot.
The man was eventually caught near to the marshy pond on Butts Close, but not before a policeman fell into the freezing cold water.
Police confirmed to the Comet both men were subsequently arrested and taken to custody in Luton.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness said: “We were woken just after 5am by a large bang. I saw a black Ranger Rover and I counted at least seven squad cars and a minimum of 13 policeman. “One man had locked himself in the car while another ran away.
“I think one particular policeman wasn’t aware of the marshy bog in Butts Close when he gave chase, as he came back soaked up to his chest.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 9 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
“I’m not shaken but you don’t expect something like this to happen in the centre of Hitchin.”