Revellers ‘ran across motorway’ to join A1(M) illegal rave in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Party goers were seen running across the A1(M) to attend an illegal rave in Letchworth on Saturday night.
Police were called in the early hours as Letchworth residents were awoken by revellers gathering near the Baldock Lane A1(M) underpass with loud sound equipment.
A police spokesperson said: “Police received several calls on the evening of Saturday 18 July, to reports that a large number of people were gathering in the Baldock Lane area. Officers attended and discovered an illegal rave was being held in an underpass near the A1(M).
“A number of people were seen running across the motorway to access the site and closures were subsequently put in place as a safety precaution.
“A section 63 (2) Criminal Justice & Public Order Act 1994 was put in place and officers monitored the situation until the group left the area without incident by around 4.30am.
You may also want to watch:
“Sound equipment was seized and enquiries are continuing at this time.”
Police are asking local communities, particularly those in rural areas, to be alert to the signs of large and unlicensed gatherings and report them to police.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 3 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 4 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Case for the defence needed quickly after bad defeat for Stevenage
- 8 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket