Police work to clarify facts of alleged Stevenage sexual assault, with circumstances ‘not as initially reported’ to officers
- Credit: Archant
The circumstances of an alleged sexual assault in Stevenage on Friday night may not be as initially reported to officers, police have said today.
Officers put up a cordon in a grassed area off Silam Road on Friday night after a report of a woman in her 20s being sexually assaulted, with police called just before 11.30pm.
They are now ‘working to clarify the facts’ surrounding the incident, having established that the two people involved had met earlier in the evening.
A police spokeswoman said today: “Investigations are continuing at this stage, but it is now thought the circumstances of the incident are not as initially reported. We are working to clarify the facts surrounding the allegations.
“We are continuing to support the complainant at this time as enquiries continue.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information that could help the investigation should call police on 101.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, or use their anonymous online form at crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go