Police warning after distraction theft in Stevenage car park
- Credit: Archant
Police investigating two distraction thefts in car parks are asking people to be vigilant.
The first incident took place in the Waitrose car park on Primett Road in Stevenage at 12.50pm on Monday.
A woman had got into her car and was approached by a man claiming she had a nail in her tyre. When the victim got out to check the tyre, he reached into the car and removed her bank card from her handbag and made off.
The second incident took place on the same day in Morrisons car park in Black Fan Road in Welwyn Garden City at 3.15pm.
The victim was also told there was a nail in her tyre and, after getting out to check it, realised her bank card had been stolen.
Pc Simon Salway said: “In both cases the victims were aged in their 70s. We believe the victims were watched whilst inside the stores inputting their pin numbers into the machine and then followed out to their vehicles. I would ask people to be vigilant to this crime and contact the police if they see anyone acting suspiciously.
“We would always advise people to cover the key pad when inputting their PIN number.”
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 2 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 3 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 7 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 8 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
Anyone with information is asked to contact Herts police via the non-emergency number 101, quoting crime reference E1/14/667 for the Stevenage incident and B1/14/257 for the Welwyn Garden City incident. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, the independent charity, anonymously on 0800 555 111.