Police warn of traffic delays for Friends Life Women’s Tour Hertfordshire stage
- Credit: Archant
Temporary road closures during the first international women’s cycling tour may cause delays in the area, according to police.
The fourth stage of the Friends Life Women’s Tour takes placed on Saturday, May 10, starting in Cheshunt and passing through Cottered, Letchworth GC, Baldock and Great Wymondley before skirting around Stevenage and heading to the finish in Welwyn GC via Codicote.
The 54.6 mile leg is a private event, which will see temporary road closures put in place by the organisers, as the cyclists go through each area. A convoy of vehicles will be travelling in front of and behind the pack of cyclists.
Around 96 riders are expected to take part, often travelling at high speeds. The race will feature the best female cyclists in the world including Hertfordshire born double Olympic gold medallist Laura Trott who will be racing as part of the Wiggle Team, ranked sixth in the world.
Hertfordshire Constabulary’s Chief Inspector David Partridge said: “Although we have been advised that the road closures should only be in place for around half an hour for the majority of the route, there is the possibility of traffic congestion during the day, so motorists should plan their journeys accordingly.
You may also want to watch:
“We would urge people who are likely to be travelling around the county that day to take a quick look as the race route and make adjustments to their journey if necessary.
“I would advise people who are planning to watch the event, to take care and be mindful of their surroundings.”
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 10 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
For more information visit www.womenstour.co.uk