Police unveil new joint firearms unit
A JOINT firearms support unit for Herts and Beds will be launched tomorrow (Wednesday), bringing improved resilience and efficiency to this key policing operation. This development follows the establishment of three joint units in April this year (the d
A JOINT firearms support unit for Herts and Beds will be launched tomorrow (Wednesday), bringing improved resilience and efficiency to this key policing operation.
This development follows the establishment of three joint units in April this year (the dog unit, professional standards department and scientific services unit), and the launch of the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire major crime unit in 2007.
Hertfordshire Constabulary's deputy chief constable Simon Parr said: "Other forces and police authorities are taking an active interest in our progress with this groundbreaking work, the overarching priority of which is to further improve the policing service we deliver to our communities in both counties."
His opposite in Bedfordshire, Martin Stuart, added: "This new joint unit, along with the other collaborative initiatives already implemented, aims to bring about both greater operational effectiveness and productivity. Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire continue to lead the way with these collaborative ventures."
You may also want to watch:
Merging the two firearms units is expected to save around �437,000 a year. The new unit will have two operational bases, at Welwyn Garden City and Kempston, with a training base at Bedfordshire Police Headquarters.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 4 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 6 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 7 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 8 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 9 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 10 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out