Police rush out CCTV images after attempted robberies in Letchworth are thwarted
- Credit: Archant
Police have appealed for help in tracing a masked man they want to talk to in the wake of two failed robbery bids in Letchworth town centre this afternoon.
And they have rush-released CCTV images of their prime suspect, and asked for a mystery man who thwarted his first attempt to come forward.
Officers were called at 4.46pm to the Halifax bank branch in the Garden Square Shopping Centre in response to reports that a man had attempted to stage a robbery.
The mystery member of the public, who wore a high visibility jacket and dark clothing, managed to bundle him out of the premises.
But soon after there were further reports that the man, who claimed to be armed but did not produce a weapon, had tried again at the nearby Sainsbury’s Local store in Eastcheap.
You may also want to watch:
Once again he left empty-handed after the manager challenged him. Nobody was injured in either incident.
Det Con Ben Dixon, who is handling the investigation, said: “These incidents are being linked and I would like to speak to the person pictured as part of our inquiries. If you can assist in identifying this person please call us.
- 1 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 2 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 3 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 9 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 10 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
“The man who assisted at the bank has also not yet been traced and I would ask that he call us as he is obviously a key witness.
“I would also be keen to hear from anyone else who was in Letchworth and saw anything suspicious.”
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Herts Police on 101. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.