Police recover heroin worth £16m in Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Police have recovered what is believed to be heroin with an estimated value of £16million.
On Thursday the Comet reported that police officers were called to Works Road, Letchworth GC, at around 1pm after a lorry driver became suspicious about the load he was carrying.
At the time Herts police would not comment on the incident, but today (Saturday) released further information.
The constabulary said that the driver had stopped in East London some time before. Following searches of the vehicle officers recovered 40 kilos of what is believed to be the drug.
Detective superintendent Peter Fulham said: “A significant quantity of drugs has been removed from criminal circulation and I have a team of officers investigating who is responsible for their importation and intended distribution.
“Hertfordshire Constabulary, working with the National Crime Agency, will relentlessly pursue and arrest those involved in the supply of a class A drug that causes such harm. Whilst our proactive work is on-going, information from members of the public could prove vital.
“I am appealing to anyone who has information regarding the importation of these drugs or knowledge of individuals who may have been involved in the supply to contact the Hertfordshire Constabulary with information. If you do not want to talk directly to police, please call Crimestoppers anonymously.”
- 1 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 2 Bid to find living kidney transplant donor for Hitchin girl
- 3 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
- 4 Decision on controversial Lord Lister application deferred
- 5 Stevenage school in 'area of huge deprivation' wins national award
- 6 Permanent parking loss if outdoor seating plans approved
- 7 Hitchin Lavender named the most Instagrammed floral location in UK
- 8 Programme of one-off summer workshops at The Settlement
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
Anyone with information should contact the Herts Police non-emergency number 101 quoting Operation Adductor. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, the independent charity, anonymously on 0800 555 111.