Police praise as Herts phone scam targets follow advice and thwart fraudsters
- Credit: Archant
Police have given members of the public a pat on the back for wising up and thwarting phone fraudsters.
The number of people falling victim to ‘courier fraud’ calls has plunged in recent months in the wake of high-profile police enforcement and education drives.
Last week police were contacted by 23 people who had received suspicious phone calls. Det Insp Matt Phillips said: “The vast majority took exactly the right action. They were suspicious of the unexpected telephone call and ended it before contacting the police.
“These fraudsters tend to target the elderly and will use a number of tactics to try and convince people that they are genuinely investigating fraudulent activity.
“They will tell the resident that they need their bank cards and money as part of an investigation, including offering reference numbers and contact names.
You may also want to watch:
“Whatever anyone says on the phone and no matter who they claim to be, I want to make it absolutely clear that the police and banks would never ask you to send them bank cards, money or any other property.
“I’d ask people to share this information with as many people as possible so we can prevent more people from becoming victim.”
There’s more information available at www.herts.police.uk/PhoneScams.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round