Police mark first Facebook anniversary
A FORCE in Comet country is celebrating the first anniversary of the most popular social networking police page in the UK.
Bedfordshire’s force have 5,500 online Facebook fans and say that the site has helped them snare several criminals including a man who handed himself in after his friends spotted his picture online.
Andrea Briggs, web manager, said: “I think our success is down to the two-way communication people enjoy from our Facebook page.
“It’s opened up a way of communicating with people who’d rather message us via Facebook rather than contact us another way. “People ask us all sorts of questions – from the progress of an investigation to what is the Police helicopter doing flying over my house?”
Hertfordshire Police also have a Facebook presence and use it for much the same thing and have 2,799 friends.
You may also want to watch:
To visit the Facebook site go to www.bedfordshire.police.uk and click on the Facebook icon or go direct to www.facebook.com and search under Bedfordshire Police.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 7 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 8 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 9 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed