Police investigate claims of bare-footed toddler wandering alone in Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Police are investigating a claim that a toddler was found wandering alone in Stevenage early this morning, wearing no shoes or socks.
Officers were alerted to a Facebook post which went live at 7.51am this morning, claiming a young boy was on his own in a shop in Canterbury Way.
The post read: "At 6am-ish this morning, a child with a yellow onesie, with no shoes or socks, is walking about St Nick's shop age two to three years. Police have been called. Said his mum wouldn't wake up."
A Herts police spokesman told the Comet: "We are aware of a post on social media this morning which claimed a young child had been found in Stevenage. We have not received any reports confirming this. As a precaution, enquiries were made in the area.
"The original post has since been removed.
"If you have any information about this, it can be reported online at herts.police.uk/report, or speak to an operator in our Force Communications Room via our online web chat at herts.police.uk/contact or call the non-emergency number 101, quoting ISR 115 of November 18.
"Alternatively, you can stay 100 per cent anonymous by contacting the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via their untraceable online form at crimestoppers-uk.org.
"If a crime is in progress or someone's life is in danger, call 999 immediately."
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 6 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 7 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening