Police in hunt for gunman
POLICE have launched a hunt for a mystery gunman who blasted the door of a caravan terrifying a man and woman inside. Police say the shot peppered holes in the door of the caravan parked at the Old Cartwheel Nursery travellers site on the A1 near Sandy i
POLICE have launched a hunt for a mystery gunman who blasted the door of a caravan terrifying a man and woman inside.
Police say the shot peppered holes in the door of the caravan parked at the Old Cartwheel Nursery travellers' site on the A1 near Sandy in the early hours of Saturday morning.
The couple inside the caravan at the site which is privately owned by a local family were said to have been deeply shocked by the incident but were unharmed.
After the shooting, police say a saloon car was seen leaving the site and getting on to the A1 and speeding off up the northbound carriageway.
You may also want to watch:
A woman who answered the phone at the site said they have nothing to say and that the victims would not like to make a comment on their ordeal.
Police have confirmed their investigation revealed a shotgun had been fired at the door of the caravan and the skin of the door was pierced in several places and a spent cartridge was found near the scene of the incident.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 8 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 9 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 10 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
Several officers, some of whom were armed, went to the caravan site and searched the area following the shooting.
Officers say the gunman struck at 3.40am and are anxious to hear from anyone who might have seen a saloon car leaving the site. CCTV film is also being studied of the area close to the A1 to try and identify the vehicle.
Anyone with information should call Ds Tim Redfearn in confidence on 01234 275332 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800555111.
At the time of going to press nobody had been arrested in connection with the incident.