Police in drinking crackdown after trouble at half-term
POLICE have started their crackdown to get tough on anti-social behaviour in an area of Biggleswade. Operation Bembridge, that has been used for the past two months to try and cut out under-age drinking and anti-social behaviour in the town, continued on
POLICE have started their crackdown to get tough on anti-social behaviour in an area of Biggleswade.
Operation Bembridge, that has been used for the past two months to try and cut out under-age drinking and anti-social behaviour in the town, continued on Friday night in The Baulk area of Biggleswade.
The operation is understood to have been planned after trouble on several nights during half term when a number of incidents involving criminal damage were reported in the area.
Residents told police that cars had been damaged and youths appeared to be drunk.
On Friday night there was a high police presence in The Baulk and a number of youths were spoken to.
No alcohol was confiscated and there were no reports of anti-social behaviour or vandalism.
- 1 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 2 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 3 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 4 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 5 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 6 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 7 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 8 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 9 Does your MP support drug testing in Parliament?
- 10 Serious collision on A602 injures four
"The area has suffered from problems in the past and we thought we had nipped it in the bud. Now the problems have started again and we are determined to stop it," said one officer who was on the operation.
"The Baulk is one of the hot spots for vandalism and anti-social behaviour in Biggleswade and a number of agencies including the police have been working hard to try and solve the problems."
The police say they will continue carrying out further episodes of Operation Bembridge during the months ahead without warning to try and find those responsible for causing the trouble and bring them before the courts.