Police cop new office
THE keys to a new office in a school have been handed to police community support officers from the Stevenage community team. Headteacher Jonathan Block offered the use of the unused office at Thomas Alleyne School. Ward constable for Stevenage Old Town P
THE keys to a new office in a school have been handed to police community support officers from the Stevenage community team.
Headteacher Jonathan Block offered the use of the unused office at Thomas Alleyne School.
Ward constable for Stevenage Old Town Pc Paul Lawlor said: "We were extremely pleased when we were approached by the school with the offer of a meeting place for me and the PCSOs to use when we are in the community.
"Some people who live in the Old Town may find it difficult to travel across Stevenage to the police station and it will now be much easier for them to meet their local policing team and discuss any policing issues they may have."
The Old Stevenage local area committee chaired by Cllr David Kissane paid 75 per cent of the cost of converting the office into a base for the officers and PCSOs which included some money from Stevenage Borough Council. The remaining 25 per cent was paid for by the school.
Cllr Kissane said: "This is an excellent example of partnership working and I am happy that the local area committee was able to provide assistance in funding some of the set up costs. This is a wonderful opportunity for people in Old Stevenage to meet their police team without the journey to the police station."
- 1 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 2 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 3 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 7 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Golfers raise £11k to help sick children and dying patients
- 10 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
Mr Block said: "We always welcome the police into our school and there is always a cup of tea and somewhere to keep out of the rain if necessary.
"This has been extended so that they now have an office at the front of the school that they can use for community work. The Thomas Alleyne School always want to support and be part of the local community."
Supt Adrian Walter, eastern area deputy commander, said: "PCSOs are a valuable and important part of community teams across the eastern area and we welcome any opportunity for them to be even more visible and accessible to the communities they serve.
"We are pleased to be working closely with the Thomas Alleyne School in helping us to ensure that the community of Stevenage is, and feels safe. We have plans for other similar satellite stations across the town with one already up and running in Shephall.