Police arrest six in early morning operation
POLICE carried out a series of early morning raids today (Wednesday), in an operation targeting scrap metal theft.
Six people were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to steal and burglary, and warrants executed at seven addresses across North Herts, with teams travelling to Baldock, Hitchin, Letchworth GC and Royston.
It follows months of work by officers, who went undercover to buy stolen scrap metal. The street value of the scrap accumulated is believed to be thousands of pounds.
One man was arrested in a garage in Letchworth GC, surrounded by human faeces. Officers believed he had been sleeping there.
All suspects were taken to Stevenage Police Station for further questioning.
You may also want to watch:
• For more on this story, check the website throughout the day and see tomorrow’s paper.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal