Police appeal to help trace missing jewellery thief
POLICE are appealing for witnesses in an attempt to trace a man after jewellery was stolen from a shop in Stevenage yesterday. The incident took place at 1.20pm at John Lyons in the Westgate shopping centre. Two men entered the shop, opened a locked glass
POLICE are appealing for witnesses in an attempt to trace a man after jewellery was stolen from a shop in Stevenage yesterday.
The incident took place at 1.20pm at John Lyons in the Westgate shopping centre. Two men entered the shop, opened a locked glass cabinet and took items of jewellery before running away in the direction of The Forum. One was later arrested but another remains at large.
Neighbourhood Inspector for Stevenage, Steve Hague said: "We believe one of the offenders ran into an underpass near the Forum, changed tops and ran back into town. He could also have got into a vehicle at that location.
"I am very keen to speak to anyone who believes they saw a man running away from the scene. Did you see him get into a vehicle?"
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who believes they have information about this incident is asked to call police via the non-emergency number on 0845 33 00 222. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, the independent charity, on 0800 555 111.
Octavian Dumitru, aged 20 and from Tylecroft Road, Croydon, has been charged with theft in connection with the incident and remains in police custody. He is due to appear at Central Herts Magistrates Court today.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go