Police apology after photo error
POLICE officers who wrongly arrested two men and released their photos to media have apologised. Brothers Sena and Elon Fafa from Stevenage had their photos released publicly as part of the Hertfordshire Constabulary s rogues gallery. The students, who
POLICE officers who wrongly arrested two men and released their photos to media have apologised.
Brothers Sena and Elon Fafa from Stevenage had their photos released publicly as part of the Hertfordshire Constabulary's rogues' gallery.
The students, who go to the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield, were caught on CCTV in Currys in London Road, Stevenage, on December 12, 2004 while shopping.
Their photos then appeared on posters and in local press last August standing next to another man who police want to question in relation to the use of a stolen credit card.
You may also want to watch:
The men were identified to police and arrested on suspicion of obtaining property by deception. After that detectives realised that the two men had nothing to do with the crime they were in custody for.
Det Sgt Karen Hussey, who has been investigating the crime, said: "These two men are completely innocent of any involvement in the incident at Currys and just happened to be walking near a man who is thought to have committed the offence.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
"I would like to apologise to them for the embarrassment that the release of their photos and their subsequent arrest has caused. We are still trying to trace another man, who has no connection to Sena and Elon, in relation to the use of the stolen card.