Point for Stevenage at Cambridge United

Jack King fires in a shot.

Jack King fires in a shot. - Credit: Archant

Stevenage picked up another point in their League Two promotion push as they played out a goalless draw at Cambridge United this afternoon (Saturday).

The game, played out in the fine March sunshine, never really warmed up with the hosts having the greater chances, but not finding a way to convert.

While Stevenage huffed and puffed failing to create a killer counterpunch, the draw though keeps them fourth in the table.

Boss Darren Sarll made two changes to the Stevenage side which beat Portsmouth last time out with Kgosi Ntlhe and the injured Jobi McAnuff replaced by Connor Ogilvie and Kaylen Hinds.

Stevenage were on the back foot in the first half and struggled to find the kind of fluidity which had seen they put three past Pompey.

You may also want to watch:

Sarll’s men were unable to fashion any chance of note in the first 45 minutes, while Luke Berry pulled the strings for United in the middle of the park.

It was the home number eight who tested Chris Day with an early effort from distance which failed to trouble the Boro keeper.

Most Read

Cambridge forced a host of corners, but were unable to make the most of them as Boro held firm.

Stevenage were disrupted on the half-hour mark as Matt Godden and Tom Pett both went down injured and received treatment, with Pett carried off on a stretcher with a deep gash to his leg, he was replaced by Michael Tonge.

In added time at the end of the half, Josh McQuoid fired over after Steven Schumacher’s free-kick had been half cleared.

The second half began with a nasty clash of heads between Boro defenders Ogilvie and Franks; the former completed the rest of the game with a bandage around his head.

Cambridge continued to create the more chances and had Maris and substitute Barry Corr fail to hit the target when well placed.

With 20 minutes to play Stevenage’s best opportunity of the game came.

Hinds won the ball and fed Godden, he stepped inside his marker and curled just wide of the top corner.

Tonge had a decent opportunity soon after as his free-kick was heading goalwards until United keeper Will Norris kept it out.

Cambridge’s final chance came as Berry’s diving header was off target as both sides settled for a share of the spoils.

The result leaves Stevenage fourth in the table, but six points off Portsmouth in third in the final automatic promotion place.

Stevenage: Day, King (c), Franks, Wilkinson, Schumacher, McQuiod (Kennedy 68), Pett (Tonge 30), Ogilvie, Lee, Godden, Hinds.

Subs: Preston, Gorman, McKee, Ntlhe, Loft.

Cambridge United: Norris, Taylor, Legge (c), Mingoia (Dunk 68), Berry, Williamson (McGuirk 60), Wharton, Maris, Carroll, Lewis (Corr 60), Halliday.

Subs: Gregory, Roberts, Dunk, McDonagh, O’Neil.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter