Plea to Delay Journeys Following Disruption
PEOPLE in Comet country are being asked to delay their journeys on the roads for an hour or two. The call comes from Hertfordshire Highways which gritted the priority network of roads again last night (Wednesday), ready for forecasted light snow turning t
PEOPLE in Comet country are being asked to delay their journeys on the roads for an hour or two.
The call comes from Hertfordshire Highways which gritted the priority network of roads again last night (Wednesday), ready for forecasted light snow turning to rain in the early hours.
In the south and east of the county this weather happened, rain is falling, and there is a slow thaw under way.
The west and north of the county was worst hit by a band of more intense snow, with up to four inches falling in places.
You may also want to watch:
"The snowfall coincided with the morning traffic, so we have been unable to clear it before the roads became busy and there has been disruption, particularly in the north and west of the county," said a Herts Highways spokesman at 10.34am today.
"Our crews are out ploughing and salting, assisted by farmers and the police, to clear the roads as quickly as possible - including calling in gritters from the south of the county to help in the north. "Understandably there are abandoned cars on the roads and this is slowing the clearance process.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 6 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
"The disruption will last an hour or two more before our work and the thaw can take their full effect. If some people can delay their journey it will help with the clearance."
The A505 between Hitchin and Luton is still closed. A fourth salting run is about to start there and it is hoped the road will re-open around noon.