Plans unveiled for £40 million Stevenage redevelopment
- Credit: Archant
Plans have been unveiled for state-of-the-art homes for older people, as part of a £40 million scheme which will also include building a new community centre, shops and homes for all ages.
Stevenage Borough Council is asking people to give their views on plans which will see an independent living scheme built at Kenilworth Close, with a café, enclosed private balconies and a roof garden for people living there.
In the independent living scheme there will be more than 78 homes for older people and existing bedsits will be replaced with flats with separate living space.
There will also be new homes built for all ages - for private sale, social or affordable rent - making 200 homes in all, as well as new shops.
The existing community centre will be redeveloped nearby to provide a new modern centre for more residents to enjoy.
You may also want to watch:
The council completed a similar scheme in Pin Green last year, and the new community centre in Hampson Park is home to dozens of clubs and activities, as well as a community café.
Councillor Jeannette Thomas - Stevenage Borough Council’s executive member for housing, health and older people - said: “We’re making a big investment in the lives of older people, which will offer unrivalled quality in Stevenage.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“It will give our residents a wonderful roof terrace with the private, secure space they have told us they would like.
“We have been working closely with residents at our existing scheme, and there is real enthusiasm for what this will offer.
“We are not just building homes, but improving the whole neighbourhood, providing amenities for the community, with a new parade of shops and a community centre of a quality our residents deserve.
“Because this scheme is about the wider neighbourhood, we are keen to hear what local people think.”
The borough council will be releasing the final plans for the scheme on its planning website at stevenage.gov.uk/planning in June.
If anybody has any early comments or queries about the scheme, they can email the housing development team at email@example.com