Plans to revive Baldock Town Hall advance
PLANS to bring Baldock Town Hall back into community use are forging ahead.
Baldock Town Hall Ltd – a group made up of a number of the town’s organisations, including the Baldock Town and District Partnership – has been given until March by North Herts District Council (NHDC) to come up with a viable business case for the building, which has stood empty since 2009.
The campaign group wants to use it for the arts, as well as for education and training purposes, but if the business case fails then the council could opt to sell the building.
Representatives of the group made a detailed presentation to NHDC in December.
“The presentation covered several aspects of the intended business plan, including the history, the outline space use, the financial aspects and important issues such as risk,” said a spokesman for Baldock Town Hall Ltd.
A survey commissioned by the campaign group last year did highlight problems such as rising damp, a collapsed ceiling, rotting window sills and overflowing downpipes.
“The presentation was well attended by both parties and was very well received by NHDC,” said the group’s spokesman.
- 1 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 2 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 3 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 4 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 7 £3k thank you to Lister for pregnant wife's bleed on brain care
- 8 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 9 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 10 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
Another formal presentation to NHDC will be made later this month, with a final decision on the future of Baldock Town Hall expected to be made by NHDC’s Cabinet in March.
Baldock Town Hall Ltd’s spokesman concluded: “As soon as we are able, we will be making another announcement on the progress being made on this situation.”