Plans submitted for Hitchin Wetherspoon
- Credit: Archant
A pub chain has applied to turn a former Conservative club into a drinking establishment.
JD Wetherspoon has submitted a planning application to North Herts District Council (NHDC) to turn the Hitchin Conservative Club on Sun Street into a Wetherspoon pub.
The application is for change of use of the club to public house, for a single storey rear and side extension and refurbishment throughout.
The application also asks NHDC for use of parking areas as pub gardens with an associated smoking shelter, bin store, tables and seating.
Last week the Comet reported that the chain and Hitchin Historical Society had come up with Angel Vaults as a name for the drinking establishment.
The Conservative club and the pub chain exchanged contracts for the building last year, although it is not yet known where members of the Conservative club will go.
- 1 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 2 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 3 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 Farmhouse owners disgusted by 'abhorrent' solar panels plan
- 7 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 10 Golfers raise £11k to help sick children and dying patients