Plans for North Herts crematorium on landfill site near Hitchin revealed
- Credit: Archant
The developers behind a proposal to build a crematorium and memorial park near Hitchin believe the scheme would provide a much-needed burial and remembrance service for people living in North Hertfordshire.
Memoria, which submitted the planning application to North Herts District Council this month, wants to build the facility on land west of Bedford Road by the restored landfill site.
At present, people in North Herts have a choice of crematoria at Harwood Park in Stevenage, or further afield in Bedford, Cambridge or Luton.
The grounds of North Herts Memorial Park would hold a single-storey chapel, a memorial garden, a 100-space car park, a burial area and a variety of landscaping features – all of which would not be in view of surrounding houses.
A spokesman for family-run business Memoria, which has developed 12 crematoria across the country since 2003, said: “We are delighted to have finally submitted this application.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been looking for suitable sites in this area since 2010 in order to address the gap in service that currently exists for people living in North Herts and Central Beds.
“More than 170,000 people currently live closer to the proposed site than any other crematorium in the country.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 6 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 7 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 10 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
“In addition, more than 110,000 of those people currently live more than a 30-minute drive from their nearest crematorium.
“After five years of searching, we believe that we have finally found the right site to develop and operate this much-needed public service facility.”
An alternative option being mooted is that of building a crematorium at the site of the Wilbury Hills Cemetery in Letchworth.
Councillor Peter Burt, executive member for waste, recycling and the environment at the district council, said: “The district council has been considering the feasibility of providing a crematorium at the site of the existing cemetery at Wilbury Hills, and options are still being explored.”
More information about the proposal can be found at www.northhertsmemorialparl.co.uk.
You can also provide feedback by calling 0800 112 3540.