Plans for Henlow housing estate receive widespread criticism from residents

These houses are being demolished to make way for an access road for 96 new homes on land to the rea

These houses are being demolished to make way for an access road for 96 new homes on land to the rear of Langford Road - Credit: Archant

A plan to build a housing estate at the edge of a village has received widespread criticism from residents.

Residents have condemned the plans to build 93 homes on a site covering approximately 4.95 hectares to the northeast of Henlow, directly east of the junction of Langford Road and Newton Road.

Access to the site is proposed from Langford Road, with a new entrance and junction created by the demolition of two residential properties.

The application, submitted to Central Bedfordshire Council this month by Gladman Developments Ltd, states that 35% of the homes would be classed as affordable housing, and the development would include pedestrian and cycling links, areas of formal and informal open space, a play area and landscaping.

Ray Haxton, of Langford Road in Henlow, said: “The village can’t stand any more houses. There is the traffic, but the main concern is the access road, which will cause problems as it is so close to a mini roundabout.


You may also want to watch:


“It will also spoil a lovely view, but I suppose we have no right to a view. People need to carry on objecting because this is an outline planning application, and there could be 150 homes on there in the future.”

Alice Harvey, of High Street in Henlow, said: “We use the area regularly for walks, so I’m definitely against it. It’s not necessary to build cheap houses there because it devalues the properties that we live in.”

Most Read

David Christie, also of High Street, said: “It’s not really the houses I have a problem with, it is more the infrastructure. If you are getting to the doctor’s in the morning, there are two roundabouts before you get there.

“And with all the cars that will come with 90-odd houses, it is going to be absolute chaos on the roads. Also with two schools in the village, where are all the children going to go?”

Gladman Developments Ltd’s planning application states: “The proposal responds directly to the identified need to deliver additional homes in Central Bedfordshire. The proposals include highways alterations, improved pedestrian linkages and thus will deliver a highly accessible development in this sustainable location.

“It is anticipated that the development of the site would take in the order of two to three years to complete.”

A consultation period for the plans, which are a second attempt following the refusal of permission in October of last year, runs until June 13.

To view the application and comment visit www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/planning/planning-applications

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter