Plans for former Stevenage Homebase building and KFC drive-through get go-ahead
- Credit: Archant
An empty unit on Stevenage’s Roaring Meg Retail Park could be replaced with three different warehouses.
Members of Stevenage Borough Council agreed on Tuesday night that planning permission should be granted for the old Homebase building.
Applicants Aberdeen Asset Management Ltd will now demolish the existing retail warehouse and build three new ones in its place. In total the new development will only be four square metres larger than the existing structure.
Councillors unanimously agreed to the changes.
Last October Debenhams was also granted permission to built a 100,000 square foot mega store in the place of Toys ‘R’ Us on the retail park.
You may also want to watch:
At the same meeting they also agreed to grant planning permission for a new KFC drive-through restaurant on land next to Monkswood Way.
Trees will be cut down to make way for the fast-food outlet but the council’s tree expert said that this would have “little or no impact from a tree and conservation” view point.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 3 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 4 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 5 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 6 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 9 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
One councillor opposed the vote, and one abstained, but the rest gave their blessing to the proposed plans.