Pirton fundraiser’s stand-up comedy night ahead of Argentine challenge
- Credit: Archant
A fitness consultant who is set to trek across Argentina for charity is holding a fundraising comedy night next weekend.
Philip Turner is putting on the event in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society at Pirton Village Hall next Saturday night, with three stand-up comedians and compere Lewis Bryan.
The event is to raise funds ahead of Philip’s mammoth challenge for the Alzheimer’s charity, which will see him trek 100km across the Patagonia region of southern Argentina.
The cause is a special one to Philip, from Pirton, as his wife works in care homes with older people affected by Alzheimer’s and dementia.
“She has always done this, so it’s quite close to our hearts,” he told the Comet.
You may also want to watch:
Philip’s South American adventure, in November, will take him 100km across the freezing cold and remote wilderness of the continent’s final frontier.
Some of the obstacles standing in his way are Viedma Glacier, Pollone Glacier, and the Estancia Los Huemules, Laguna Torre and Pliegue Tumbado trek.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 5 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 6 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 7 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
“All this will take us through a range of temperatures,” said Philip.
“It can be 30°C to 35°C, and by the time you get to the glaciers it could be -20°C.
“Patagonia goes across into Chile as well, but this will all be on the Argentine side. Ths finish point is El Calafate in the country’s far south-west.
“We’ve been told we’ve got seven days of consectutive very long distances on this trek. The Patagonian mountains are very unpredictable.”
Previous charity challenges hardy Philip has conquered include the Sahara Desert Trek – 100km across the sands of Morocco in west Africa – and the Coast-to-Coast Rainforest Trek across Costa Rica in Central America.
The comedy show starts at 8.30pm at Pirton Village Hall. Doors open at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £15 each.
There will be a full bar and snacks available on the night, and all proceeds from tickets and drinks sales go to the Alzheimer’s Society.
To find out more, email email@example.com, have a look online at facebook.com/Pirtoncomedynight, or see justgiving.com/philip-turner16. You can also call Philip on 01462 712305 or 07748 154249.