PIONEERS of Stevenage celebrated the town s 60th anniversary on Friday with a planting ceremony at Fairlands Valley Park. Connie Rees, one of the early settlers in the town, organised the event which was attended by over 60 people who had moved to Steven
PIONEERS of Stevenage celebrated the town's 60th anniversary on Friday with a planting ceremony at Fairlands Valley Park.
Connie Rees, one of the early settlers in the town, organised the event which was attended by over 60 people who had moved to Stevenage from other parts of the country.
Connie and her husband Huw moved to the area from London in the 1950s and both are proud of the town. They joined others in watching SAFE (Sish Lane Area Friendly Enterprise) scheme members Mandy Taberner and Jodie Palmer, helped by mayor of Stevenage, Simon Speller, and Barbara Follett MP, plant rose bushes named Simply the Best.
Pat Henry, director of Stevenage Community Trust which sponsored the event, said: "The pioneer event was a very happy but nostalgic event and it brought everyone together to reminisce on their time in Stevenage and to ponder over old photographs. The group now intends to remain in contact through newsletters and meetings throughout the year."
You may also want to watch:
A commemorative plaque was laid as a lasting reminder of the town's history, and an oak tree, the symbol of Stevenage, was also planted.
Connie described the event as significant in the handing over of Stevenage to the new generation. She especially enjoyed the poem To the Valley read by the mayor, but written by Francis Colett.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 3 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 4 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 5 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
Mr Colett, who lives in Hitchin but was a Stevenage resident for around 40 years, enjoyed marking the event with his poetry. He said: "I thought it went very well, it was excellent."
Three Valleys Water also sponsored the event.