Pilot scheme launched in Letchworth GC for residents in flats to recycle
A pilot scheme to help residents in flats recycle waste material has been launched by North Herts District Council (NHDC). Three bin recycling units have been set up at 30 sites in Letchworth GC serving 370 properties making it easier for residents to rec
A pilot scheme to help residents in flats recycle waste material has been launched by North Herts District Council (NHDC).
Three bin recycling units have been set up at 30 sites in Letchworth GC serving 370 properties making it easier for residents to recycle paper, glass and cans. If the trial is successful similar units will be installed in blocks of flats throughout North Herts.
In the past collecting good quality recycling from flats has proved difficult because bins have to be shared requiring all residents to co-operate.
Now to help, all those living in the flats involved in the pilot scheme, have been provided with information about what can and cannot be recycled and given a reusable bag to help carry their items to the recycling point.
You may also want to watch:
Once the trials have proven to be a success, the paper, glass and can bins will be installed at blocks of flats through North Herts.
"As the first authority in the county to hit a recycling rate of over 50 per cent, we are now recycling more of our waste than is being sent to landfill. Residents in North Herts can be rightly proud of this success," said Cllr Lynda Needham portfolio holder for waste and recycling.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 9 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
"The introduction of new recycling units in flats will help us to keep improving and to continue setting new standards.