Pett and Whelpdale are important to us and it’s good to have them back, says Stevenage boss Sheringham
- Credit: Archant
Boro boss also says he’s not currently looking to add to squad during loan window
Teddy Sheringham says it’s ‘very important’ to have both Tom Pett and Chris Whelpdale back from injury and flying down the wings for Stevenage.
Both have had injury-hit starts to the League Two season, with Pett having had a series of knocks and niggles while Whelpdale is recovering from a double hernia operation.
Both started Saturday’s win over Plymouth Argyle, and with York City likely to play a 3-5-2 formation against Boro this weekend both could be asked to work their magic down the wings once more.
Asked how important it was to have them back in the side, Sheringham said: “Very important. I think Petty was involved at the start of the season but had a couple of injuries.
You may also want to watch:
“He then had a couple of whacks on top of his injuries and wasn’t performing to the best of his capabilities. We gave him a few days off in between the couple of games we’ve had [and] I think it’s done him a favour.
“His body has re-accustomed itself and he’s not carrying the little niggly injuries which is very important for any player.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
“You don’t want to be carrying the little injuries and going into games worrying about them rather than thinking about what you should be doing on the football pitch. I think he’s got a clear head now and performed very well last week for us.
“The same for Chris Whelpdale. He gives us a huge amount of experience when he comes on and plays. Obviously he’s not as fit as he would like to be, as what we’d like to be, but he gives us experience, controls the ball and passes it nicely which is what we’re looking for.”
Both Connor Ogilvie and Tom Hitchcock’s loan spells end after this weekend’s match.
Asked if he expects to do any business during the loan window, Sheringham added: “Not at the moment. I’ve got a very good squad at the moment. Got a few injuries again [but] I’m happy with my squad and juggling it is my problem but it’s a nice problem.”