Petition calling for Nadine Dorries recall handed in
A 700-STRONG petition calling for Nadine Dorries to be held to account made its way to Westminster yesterday (Monday).
The Mid-Bedfordshire MP has attracted criticism for heading out to Australia for ITV1 show I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!
One constituent angered by her decision is Jonathan Paxton, who initiated the petition asking for Ms Dorries’ recall.
On Monday, he delivered the 688 signatures to the Mid Beds Conservative Association in Shefford, as well as to the three political party headquarters in London.
“I’m amazed at the response,” said the Barton-le-Clay resident.
You may also want to watch:
“I think this shows a lot of people feel very strongly about it.
“When it all came out initially, I was very disappointed Nadine decided to go walkabouts. I investigated channels to complain, but there was nothing official.”
- 1 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 2 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 3 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 4 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 5 PE teachers to run seven marathons in seven days
- 6 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 COVID-19 cases plummet in Stevenage and North Herts as restrictions ease
- 9 Resident calls for brighter street lights after 'shocking' fall leaves her seeking hospital treatment
- 10 Letchworth teachers begin six-day strike over pension scheme withdrawal
Mr Paxton, 36, hopes that, ultimately, the petition will lead to a by-election.
But before it gets to that stage, he wants Ms Dorries to answer questions.
Those who signed the petition – which included people in Mid-Beds as well as elsewhere in the country – echoed Mr Paxton’s comments.
Kiran Patel, from Clifton, wrote: “I am signing this petition as I strongly disagree with the decisions of my local MP and the work she should he doing.
“I am signing to recall her because she shouldn’t have her job. I want a trustworthy MP.”
Jim Baker, who gives his address as Herts, said: “She has behaved badly and I feel she should step forward and answer questions as to why she thinks her behaviour is acceptable.
“She should resign and let the people decide.”