Petition calling for Nadine Dorries recall handed in
A 700-STRONG petition calling for Nadine Dorries to be held to account made its way to Westminster yesterday (Monday).
The Mid-Bedfordshire MP has attracted criticism for heading out to Australia for ITV1 show I’m a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!
One constituent angered by her decision is Jonathan Paxton, who initiated the petition asking for Ms Dorries’ recall.
On Monday, he delivered the 688 signatures to the Mid Beds Conservative Association in Shefford, as well as to the three political party headquarters in London.
“I’m amazed at the response,” said the Barton-le-Clay resident.
“I think this shows a lot of people feel very strongly about it.
“When it all came out initially, I was very disappointed Nadine decided to go walkabouts. I investigated channels to complain, but there was nothing official.”
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Tranmere Rovers against Stevenage off after Storm Arwen damage
- 3 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 4 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 9 Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on: All you need to know
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
Mr Paxton, 36, hopes that, ultimately, the petition will lead to a by-election.
But before it gets to that stage, he wants Ms Dorries to answer questions.
Those who signed the petition – which included people in Mid-Beds as well as elsewhere in the country – echoed Mr Paxton’s comments.
Kiran Patel, from Clifton, wrote: “I am signing this petition as I strongly disagree with the decisions of my local MP and the work she should he doing.
“I am signing to recall her because she shouldn’t have her job. I want a trustworthy MP.”
Jim Baker, who gives his address as Herts, said: “She has behaved badly and I feel she should step forward and answer questions as to why she thinks her behaviour is acceptable.
“She should resign and let the people decide.”