Pet owners in Stevenage warned to be vigilant after three cats die from suspected anti-freeze poisoning in same week

Neighbours Helen Johnson and Karen Ives both lost their cats after they died from anti-freeze poison

Neighbours Helen Johnson and Karen Ives both lost their cats after they died from anti-freeze poisoning - Credit: Archant

The owners of two cats who died from suspected anti-freeze poisoning within 72 hours of each other are warning others to be vigilant and report anything suspicious to the authorities.

Bonbon died from suspected anti-freeze poisoning last Tuesday.

Bonbon died from suspected anti-freeze poisoning last Tuesday. - Credit: Archant

But despite issuing the appeal, Karen Ives – whose four-year-old Persian cross domestic cat died last Tuesday – admits there is little she can do apart from hope her other three cats don’t suffer the same fate.

The 39-year-old said: “I suffer from cancer and I can’t have children, so my cats are my babies.

“One of the reasons I live here is because of the woods and the location. I wonder now if I should move because I can’t protect my animals.”

When Karen’s cat Bonbon became ill she took him to Roebuck Vets in Great Ashby, but he failed to respond to treatment and had to be put down.

The police have taken this biscuits which were found near to Karen's house soaked in an unknown subs

The police have taken this biscuits which were found near to Karen's house soaked in an unknown substance away for testing. - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


Less than three days later, Helen Johnson’s 10-year-old ginger tabby Cookie suffered the same fate.

The women live six houses apart in Cleveland Way, Great Ashby, and were later told that there were crystals in the urine of both cats which is consistent with anti-freeze poisoning.

Most Read

Karen suffers from incurable myeloma and moved to the area five years ago because she thought it would be a pleasant place to live.

The contracts manager, who lives with her husband Pete, said: “I don’t want to be dealing with this stress. I want a quiet life with my animals and fear it is going to be ruined if people do these sort of things.”

On Tuesday morning biscuits soaked in a suspicious substance were found at an entrance to Brooches Wood, very near to where the women live.

Karen added: “I’m scared for all the wildlife in this area. It is not just about me, it is about children, dogs and all of the birds and other animals that live here. I think the people who did this are disturbed. Anyone in their right mind wouldn’t dream of doing something like this.”

A third cat from the area is also believed to have died from anti-freeze poisoning, according to animal welfare charity RSPCA.

Stephen Reeves is investigating for the RSPCA and said: “At this stage we do not know if these were accidental incidents or deliberate, but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats. People should check their car radiators for leaks too.”

Call police on 101 or the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018 with information.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter