People line Stevenage High Street to catch Pearl Izumi Tour Series as Alice Barnes wins women’s race
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage High Street has been lined with people this evening to cheer on cyclists in the Pearl Izumi Tour Series, with Alice Barnes taking the win in the women’s race.
Children and adults alike had a chance to ride the circular route looping round the High Street and Church Lane, with the Camps Hill Cheerleaders among those to entertain the crowds.
Racing started in earnest at 6.30pm, as a large field of female cyclists got in the saddle for the multi-lapped road race.
After a series of unsuccesful attempts to break from the main field, it was Alice Barnes of Drops Cycling who eventually stole a lead and one that she saw through to the finish.
Her teammates Rebecca Durrell and Laura Massey helped Drops Cycling to a top three clean sweep, while Nikki Juniper of Team Ford Eco Boost was the sprint winner.
You may also want to watch:
The men’s twilight race is imminent – starting at 8.30pm before podium presentations at 10pm.
Stevenage High Street will remain closed until midnight.
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 6 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 9 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 10 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go