Pensioner rescued in Stevenage blaze drama
A QUICK-THINKING handyman rescued an elderly resident from a house fire after he saw smoke pouring from the kitchen window. Brave George Fullerton, a repairs operative for Stevenage Homes, was fitting a new gate at Silkin Court sheltered housing scheme on
A QUICK-THINKING handyman rescued an elderly resident from a house fire after he saw smoke pouring from the kitchen window.
Brave George Fullerton, a repairs operative for Stevenage Homes, was fitting a new gate at Silkin Court sheltered housing scheme on Campkin Mead when the drama unfolded.
Mr Fullerton said he saw smoke coming from a window of a bungalow and quickly alerted the resident, 80-year-old Morris Levy.
He led Mr Levy from the property to safety, turned off the electricity to the smoking cooker, and closed the kitchen door to help prevent the fire and smoke from spreading.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fullerton said: "Being first on the scene just meant I did what any other person would have done.
"I just hope Mr Levy is recovering ok. It must have been a great shock, finding himself in that situation."
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 7 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 8 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 10 Developers confirm controversial plans for Hitchin flats to go to appeal
Stevenage Fire Station commander, Ian Parkhouse, said: "I am pleased George had the knowledge to take the appropriate action in the event of a fire. This helped to prevent a small fire from turning into a more serious one."
He added: "If you discover a fire, it is very important to not put your own life in danger; get out, stay out, and dial 999.
"A working smoke alarm and a planned escape route could help save your life. Make your escape plan and test your smoke alarm today."
Mr Levy is recovering at home, having received first aid at the scene.
The fire had filled the kitchen with smoke, but damage to the property was limited.