Pensioner dies in supermarket car park smash
A pensioner from WGC has died following a crash outside a supermarket on Monday morning. The woman, who has not been named by police, died in Lister Hospital, Stevenage, after her Vauxhall Astra ploughed through a car park fence and into the wall of a des
A pensioner from WGC has died following a crash outside a supermarket on Monday morning.
The woman, who has not been named by police, died in Lister Hospital, Stevenage, after her Vauxhall Astra ploughed through a car park fence and into the wall of a deserted car showroom.
Shoppers watched in horror as the car raced across the car park at the Tesco store near the Roebuck close to Old Knebworth Lane, and burst through a hedge and sped across London Road hitting iron railings and then swerving back across the road and into the grounds of the old car showrooms.
The 68-year-old woman later died in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Police are now appealing for witness to the incident that closed London Road for almost two hours bringing traffic congestion all the way back to Knebworth.
Roads policing inspector Jim Grassie said: "There would have been a lot of people outside Tesco at the time of the incident and I would be keen to hear from anyone who may have heard or seen anything which could help with our investigation.
- 1 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 2 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 7 Surprise signing Adam Smith happy to get back into training and playing with Stevenage
- 8 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 9 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 10 Knebworth's Jamie Rutherford lands Tour Championship with dramatic final round
"We are particularly keen to speak to a motorist who was involved in a minor collision in the Tesco car park about ten minutes prior to the incident. We believe they may have information which could help us with our investigation."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Insp Grassie on 01923 472382 or 0845 33 00 22.