Penalty decision was correct says Peterborough’s Boyd
Posh winger feels last gasp penalty was the correct decision
GEORGE Boyd said he believes match referee Graham Salisbury was correct to award his side a last minute penalty against Stevenage in their Carling Cup tie on Tuesday evening.
Boro thought they had taken Peterborough United to penalties after coming from behind for a third time in Extra Time only for Jon Ashton to be penalised for a push on returning former Stevenage winger Boyd.
Lee Tomlin stepped up to fire Posh into the next round, and Boyd said it was the correct decision.
“Yes, it was a penalty,” the Posh captain told The Comet. “He just pushed me a little in the back and it was a penalty. I think we should have had one in the first half (when Alan Julian appeared to foul Tommy Rowe) but he didn’t give that one.”
You may also want to watch:
Boyd said he enjoyed his return to Boro in his first competitive match at Stevenage since leaving the club for Peterborough in 2007, and said he believed the fans got their money’s worth after an entertaining match.
“I enjoyed it,” Boyd told The Comet. “I think they got their money’s worth. It was a great game, two good sides. Stevenage were a very strong outfit, especially in extra time when they made it hard for us. I think we played well and I think we deserved it in the end.
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 4 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 5 Annual Pride of Stevenage Awards celebrate our local heroes
- 6 Singers make positive change by renaming choir
- 7 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 9 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
“The fans were good (to me) for most of the game. They’re always nice, it’s a good feeling and it’s always nice to come back here.”