A GROUP of firefighters are donning their lycra shorts and setting off on an epic four-day, 450-mile cycle ride. The team of 11 from Stevenage Fire Station is hoping to raise over £10,000 by cycling from Stevenage to Germany. They will set off from the fi
A GROUP of firefighters are donning their lycra shorts and setting off on an epic four-day, 450-mile cycle ride.
The team of 11 from Stevenage Fire Station is hoping to raise over £10,000 by cycling from Stevenage to Germany.
They will set off from the fire station in St George's Way and cycle to Dover, where they will catch the ferry across to France before making their way to Ingelheim, Stevenage's twin town.
Two support vehicles - including a 12 tonne lorry on which the group is selling advertising space - will provide back up.
You may also want to watch:
Between them, the group is hoping to raise thousands of pounds for Marie Curie Cancer Care and the Fire Services National Benevolent Fund.
Dave Williams, whose idea it was to do the fundraising ride, said: "We're all definitely in training.
- 1 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 5 MPs and councillors react to tragic passing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 10 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
"We've got a fair spread of abilities so some will find it quite a challenge and some won't."
The group will set off on May 3.
To sponsor them, ring Stevenage Fire Station on 01438 202500 or visit www.justgiving.com/4in4