Party for round the world yachtsmen
TWO amateur yachtsmen who took part in a round-the-world race to raise money for charity will receive a warm welcome home on Saturday. Regulars at The Victoria pub in Ickleford, Hitchin, Patrick Harnet and Tony Russell took part in the Clipper 05-06 yacht
TWO amateur yachtsmen who took part in a round-the-world race to raise money for charity will receive a warm welcome home on Saturday.
Regulars at The Victoria pub in Ickleford, Hitchin, Patrick Harnet and Tony Russell took part in the Clipper 05-06 yacht race to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
Patrick's eight-year-old grandson, Lee, has the disease and this prompted the pair to take part in the world's biggest amateur boat race.
Patrick completed the Caribbean leg of the contest while Tony endured the full 35,000 miles and 11 months at sea.
You may also want to watch:
At The Victoria, landlord Leo Wilson and landlady Victoria Kevans have planned a big bash to celebrate their safe return - including music, food and a prize presentation for the two sailors.
Leo and Victoria have also helped to raise almost £2,000 for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust by holding an auction, a raffle and by placing collection pots on the bar.
- 1 Tributes paid to Arsenal fan who died of COVID-19 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Police hunt wanted man in connection with assault and harassment
- 3 Rapist faces 'considerable custodial sentence' after guilty verdict
- 4 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 5 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 6 Topping out ceremony marks significant progress to new bus interchange
- 7 Aerial acrobatics show to be performed in the heart of Stevenage town centre
- 8 Fraudster to repay victim £87k more than decade after conviction
- 9 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 10 Primary school's Early Years team achieves award for quality standards
A large cheque will be presented to a representative from the charity on Saturday and the draw for the raffle will also take place.
The party starts at 7pm and all are welcome.