Parks and green spaces in Hitchin and Letchworth among best in country
- Credit: Archant
Three parks and green spaces in Hitchin and Letchworth have been picked out as among the best in the country.
Norton Common in Letchworth was awarded a Green Flag Award for their fifth year running at the ceremony in London yesterday, while Oughtonhead Common in Hitchin and Howard Park and Gardens in Letchworth claimed the accolade for their second consecutive year.
The Green Flag award is given to the nation’s best parks and open spaces in recognition of excellent facilities, being well maintained and for engaging the community.
To celebrate the achievement, leader of North Herts District Council Lynda Needham and portfolio holder for the environment Councillor Peter Bert attended a flag raising event at each location.
Mr Burt said: “Anyone who lives in or visits North Hertfordshire knows that we have lot of beautiful parks and green spaces throughout the district. This award recognises the work that goes in to keeping them that way.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to say a huge thank you and congratulations to John O’Conner, our grounds maintenance team and the many volunteers who work extremely hard to ensure our parks and open spaces are maintained as beautiful places for residents to enjoy throughout the year.”
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?
- 10 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030