Parking ‘own goal’ at Stevenage retail park
- Credit: Archant
PARKING restrictions aimed at stopping football fans from affecting retail park trade have been described as an own goal.
Customers at the Roaring Meg Retail Park in Stevenage will be limited to 90 minutes free parking when Stevenage Football Club are playing at the nearby Lamex Stadium.
Posters will be put up for weekend and mid-week match days to alert the public of the time limit, resulting in a £100 fine if visitors go over.
The restrictions, which also include a three-hour limit when the football club are not playing, come into force on Monday, February 18.
Signs have already been put up across the retail park, which can be accessed from Monkswood Way and London Road, and were noticed by Carol Ashby on Saturday when she was going for lunch.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t know how a member of the public would know it is a match day,” said the former Stevenage resident, who now lives in Potton.
“We were going to Burger King but decided to go to the McDonald’s nearby instead because there were no signs there. It just wasn’t clear.
- 1 Closure order granted after drug-related crime and anti-social behaviour
- 2 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Victim kicked repeatedly in Hitchin early hours attack
- 5 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 6 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 How well do you know Letchworth? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
“When we’re choosing where to go shopping we have to decide between Bedford, Cambridge or Stevenage but we won’t be going to Stevenage any more.
“I can’t guarantee to get round all the shops and have a Burger King or Pizza Hut within the time limits – another own goal for Stevenage customer service.”
A spokesman for the Roaring Meg Retail Park said: “We were recently made aware that customers were drastically struggling to park when Stevenage Football Club played at home as many of the football fans were using the car park free of charge and walking across to the stadium.
“This new parking scheme will hopefully stop this problem and allow genuine customers to enjoy a pleasant shopping experience with us.”