Parents of Stevenage crash victim call for council action
- Credit: Archant
THE parents of a 10-year-old girl who was killed at a pedestrian crossing believe not enough is being done to tackle safety issues at the spot.
Toufik and Yvonne Moumem, whose daughter Yesmine died in December 2010 after a collision involving a car at the traffic lights opposite Asda in Monkswood Way, Stevenage, are still awaiting Hertfordshire County Council’s analysis of CCTV footage recorded at the junction in December last year.
The camera was installed for four weeks to examine whether vehicles were going through red lights, but the results, expected to be published at the start of March, are yet to be released.
The Comet asked the county council last Tuesday whether the results were available and was told they would be published in a week, although this has not happened.
“I’m not happy with the response from Hertfordshire County Council – they have taken so long to come up with the results and we believe they are not really doing enough to address the safety issues at the crossing,” said Mr Moumen, who lives with his wife in Stevenage.
You may also want to watch:
“The CCTV results are taking so long that I believe that the county council has something to hide. The public need to see what is going on.
“We are very disappointed with the lack of action from the county council and we’re seeking to take action ourselves.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Oh baby! Family's disbelief after welcoming 'enormous' newborn
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 Man charged with robbery after being tracked down by PD Luther
- 5 Man sentenced for string of sexual offences in Stevenage
- 6 Free parking in Stevenage High Street will remain
- 7 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 8 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 9 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 10 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
Speed cameras were also installed in Monkswood Way for a four-week period last year, with results released in February stating that the majority of motorists are driving under the 40mph speed limit.
Mr Moumen, who is lobbying for the speed limit to be reduced from 40mph to 30mph and wants to see permanent cameras installed at the crossing, added: “We don’t think the results that have been released accurately represent what happens on the road. We know that cars are speeding but nothing is being done and we don’t want anybody getting hurt.”
A spokesman for Hertfordshire County Council said: “Initial findings from the review of CCTV footage at this site indicate that there is not an issue with the timing of the signals.
“We are now carrying out a further review of the footage to see if changes could be made to benefit all road users. We would like to thank everyone for their continued patience while we review the site.”