Parents back firefighter lottery after son’s tragic death in Stevenage tower block inferno
- Credit: Archant
The parents of a firefighter from Stevenage who died in the line of duty trying to pull a woman from a burning block of flats have endorsed a new Firefighters Lottery in his name.
Fireman Jeffrey Wornham from Royston, died aged just 28 along with his colleague Michael Miller from Stevenage, in the blaze on February 2, 2005, at the Harrow Court tower block.
Both the heroes were posthumously awarded the George Medal, the highest honour possible for those who have shown bravery, beneath only the George Cross.
Now Jeffrey’s parents, Christina and Robert Wornham, are calling for people in North Herts to get behind the Firefighters 100 lottery which has been set up to raise funds for the families of those killed or seriously injured in the line of duty.
The first draw for the new lottery will take place on Bonfire Night, November 5.
You may also want to watch:
The lottery has been launched by the Fire Brigades Union.
Mr and Mrs Wornham said: “We are proud to support the lottery especially as the funds raised through it will also provide for ongoing needs in remembrance, prevention, research and humanitarian assistance.”
- 1 Box Wood: 42 acres of ancient woodland sold at auction
- 2 Resident with disabilities 'embarrassed' after council disposes of wheelchair
- 3 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 4 Mum's disability disco after son's left nowhere to go
- 5 Council leader speaks out after terrifying harassment incident at her home
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Man charged in connection with newsagent robbery
- 8 Hotel apologises after losing crucial CCTV
- 9 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Tickets cost £1 each and there are three guaranteed cash prizes awarded to players every week. The lottery has been launched in the run up to the FBU’s centenary celebration marking 100 years since the union was formed in 1918.
FBU general secretary Matt Wrack, said: “We hope the funds raised from this lottery will go a long way to plug holes in the support system.”
The fire was started from a tealight left unattended in a flat in the 14th floor.
An inquest found the firefighters’ deaths could have been avoided. They did not have the bolt croppers needed to cut anti-vandal chains that had been placed on water valves after a recent spate of vandalism.
You can buy tickets to support the fundraising at www.firefighters100lottery.co.uk.