Pair accused of Hitchin bag-snatchings that left victim in hospital are remanded in custody
- Credit: Archant
Two people accused of snatching elderly ladies’ bags in Hitchin last week have been remanded in custody to appear before a crown court judge next month.
Gary Moran, 42, of Beechwood Road in Luton, and Kelly Sach, 28, of Hospital Road in Arlesey, stand charged with theft, attempted robbery, fraud and joint enterprise following the incidents on Wednesday last week.
The pair appeared at Hatfield Remand Court on Saturday, and are now set to appear at St Albans Crown Court on July 7.
The attempted robbery is alleged to have happened at 3.40pm on Wednesday, when it was reported that a woman in her 70s was approached in West Alley by a bag-snatcher who tried to rip her bag off her.
The woman fell to the floor during the struggle, suffering face, hand and leg injuries – and received hospital treatment afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
The theft is alleged to have happened at 3.50pm the same day.
It was reported that a woman in her 60s was walking along Maxwell’s Path alongside her bicycle when someone approached from behind and stole her bag.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
Police believe that someone else then used the woman’s bank card to make a payment.
Detectives from the North Herts local crime unit and Operation Scorpion team arrested Mr Moran and Ms Sach on Thursday, and charged them the next day.