Paedophile football coach who was found unconscious at Stevenage hotel faces 55 child sex charges
- Credit: Archant
A former football coach who was arrested in Stevenage last year after being found unconscious in a hotel in the town has been charged with 55 child sex offences.
Barry Bennell – known by some as Richard Jones – was taken to Stevenage’s Lister Hospital after being found unconscious by police at the town’s Novotel Hotel in November last year.
He was later arrested and charged with eight child sex offences.
On Friday the previously convicted paedophile appeared at Liverpool Crown Court where he was charged with 55 child sex offences and will now stand trial on January 8 next year.
Bennell, 63, appeared via video link from HMP Woodhill in Milton Keynes, where he spoke only to confirm his name and to say that he could hear proceedings clearly.
You may also want to watch:
The charges which relate to 12 alleged victims were read out to him one by one.
The former Crewe Alexandra, Manchester City and Stoke City youth team coach is faced with charges which relate to individuals aged between eight and 15. The charges - which date from 1979 and 1991 - include buggery, attempted buggery and similar offences.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 3 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 4 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 7 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 8 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 9 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 10 Road closures following crash in Letchworth